Every week, the bells are ringing for ten minutes at churches and buildings around Australia. You may have heard them.
We would like to tell you why…
What would Jesus do?
Most people are aware of the situation in Australia regarding asylum seekers and those considered ‘illegal arrivals’ or ‘boat people’.
As a Christian community, we have decided that regardless of political affiliation we cannot stand by while people are treated inhumanely by past and present government policy.
We have asked ourselves :
What would Jesus do in this situation?
What is he expecting his church to do and say ?
It isn’t a hard question to answer. We must love our neighbor and we must show compassion to the refugee and traveller from foreign lands .
‘The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.’
Leviticus 19: 34 (NIV)
Keep on loving one another as brothers and sisters. Do not forget to show hospitality to strangers, for by so doing some people have shown hospitality to angels without knowing it. Continue to remember those in prison as if you were together with them in prison, and those who are mistreated as if you yourselves were suffering.’
Hebrews 13:1-3 (NIV)
What are we doing about it?
- We are setting up actions that show support to refugees and asylum seekers held in detention in Australia and
- We will help people to access accurate information about the issue in a safe and unbiased way
- We peacefully oppose the actions and policies of any government that cause harm and loss of hope to those in need
- WE WILL RING OUR BELLS EACH WEEK UNTIL ALL
DETAINEES ARE SET FREE
What Can You Do?
We understand that many feel angry or frustrated about this issue in many different ways. There are many things you can choose to do….
- Ignore it and hope it will go away (sorry, it won’t)
- Become informed about the facts so you can make an informed decision about where you stand
- Join with our community and make a stand :
Please pray with us.
Please join us when we ring the bells.
Please help with other programs that
support asylum seekers.
What else can you do?
- Encourage others to join the campaign, share with other churches and
people you know.
- If you don’t have a bell, use a hand bell to ring.
- Discuss ways your group or parish can help support asylum seekers and
refugees in your
community and elsewhere.
- Have a fund raiser to
support progams such as welcome Salisbury
- Show the movie Mary Meets Mohammed in your church or hall and use it to help inform your wider community and parishioners.
- Pray for our leaders, our government and their decisions regarding policies, for those in detention and those seeking asylum.
St. John’s Anglican Church Salisbury joined the campaign March 2015, if you would like to know more about why we are ringing the bells feel free to speak to our staff or volunteers
For more information about Freedom Bells for Asylum seekers please go to http://freedombells.weebly.com/